Posted on May 19 2020
Western Australia’s rich history is woven with threads of gold. Since the late 1800s, gold has been coveted and collected in the dusty goldfields and turned into jewellery by master ateliers.
Smales is one such jeweller, with a history dating back almost as far as some of our state’s most renowned prospecting towns. Since 1937 when Smales was established in Kalgoorlie, in the heart of the Goldfields region, and the name has been synonymous with luxury jewellery and timepieces since.
Today, the Smales Gold Nugget collection shines among Australian jewellers. Each gold nugget is unique and treasured as their wearer, alongside exquisite jewellery hand-crafted from WA gold.
Introducing the Smales Gold Nugget Collection
Smales remains a part of Kalgoorlie’s modern history to this day. The gold nugget collection exclusively features pieces sourced directly from the Western Australian goldfields. With careful crafting by our jewellers, the original nuggets are used to create a range of timeless gold pieces which we are proud to offer in Australia and around the world.
The market for gold has never shone brighter, with its prices rising steadily for over a decade. Gold is a commodity which is reliable on a combination of supply, demand, and investor behaviour. Since 2011 the price of gold has increased significantly, and has proven to be a valuable resource used to diversify financial and super portfolios, making this metal worth its investment. As history has shown gold has the ability to hold its value and to increase with time, creating an appeal like no other.
From the Smales Gold Nugget Collection
Crafted from stunning 18ct yellow gold, this adjustable bracelet features a small natural gold nugget sourced from WA prospectors. Owning a piece of WA history has never been more affordable or personal.
Using natural yellow gold from Kalgoorlie as inspiration, this pendant features a 0.05ct ruby that comes alive with the hues of a Goldfields sunset. Made on-site at Smales with a hand-picked gold nugget, nature and form come together in a timeless pendant.
The current Gold market 2020
Investors around the world are once again turning to gold as a shining light in uncertain times. The world may be in disarray at the moment, but gold remains a strong player among turbulent markets.
Off the back of a stellar performance in 2019 where gold rose 18.4% in US dollar terms, 2020 is poised to be another good year for gold. Especially in the coming months as monetary policies ease in global markets, gold is expected to outperform other commodities and investments by as much as double in terms of monthly returns.
The Details Behind Your Gold Nuggets at Smales
- What is a Natural Gold Nugget?
- It is a piece of gold that broke out of quartz deposits within the earth when erosion took place at some point of time. Each piece is a one of a kind with no two being exactly alike.
- Where can they be found?
- All Smales nuggets have been sourced from the Goldfields of Western Australia.
- How pure are they?
- Gold nuggets range from 75 to 95 fine 18-23KT gold and can have other mineral content such as silver and copper mixed in with it.
- What sizes do they come in?
- Gold Nuggets come in all sizes, the smaller one range in sizes from 1 cm & up to 6cm sometimes even larger for pendants.
- How Are Natural Gold Nuggets found? They can be found in rivers and streams using a gold pan or suction dredges that act like an underground vacuum cleaner. Larger operations use large machinery that dig up huge sections of dirt weighing several tons and run it through machines that separate the gold from the dirt. Nuggets are also found using a metal detector.
- How are they weighed? They are weighed by the troy ounces. 12 ounces = one pound which differs from weight which is 16 ounces to the pound. The troy ounces are broke up into 20-penny weight to the ounces and use the symbol DWT or by the grams which has 31.1 to the ounces. The larger the nugget the more rare and valuable they are. A one-ounce nugget is now considered as rare as a five-carat diamond.
- What do we mean by Authentic, Genuine, Natural Gold Nuggets?
- Not all Gold nuggets are natural, some people man-make them by taking smaller gold flakes melting them and casting them into the shape of a nugget. All Smales Jewellers nuggets are genuine and natural. Each gold nugget is shaped as they are from the earth, they are sourced locally, and created locally.
Browse the Smales Jewellers gold nugget collection to be inspired by the perfect piece, whether for yourself or a loved one. With a range suitable to all tastes and budgets, our collection of hand-crafted pieces sourced from Goldfields prospectors, everyone can find their own golden thread to weave into a beautiful story.